Nasolabial Folds. Have you heard about them?
No? Well, not to worry.
Popularly known as ‘Smile’ or ‘Laugh’ lines, Nasolabial Folds are the creases that develop at the side of your nostrils and extend down towards the corners of your mouth. These are some of the earliest lines to appear on your face which ultimately eventuate, making this particular skin area the most challenging to counteract. But ‘challenging’ doesn’t mean ‘impossible’.
What Causes Nasolabial Folds?
Nasolabial folds share a common cause with many other types of lines, folds, wrinkles and creases that appear on the average face including:
- Repetitive Muscle Movements: Quite sad, but true. The wonderful moments of laughter and giggles you had earlier, are now one of the reasons why those nasolabial folds are staring back at you in the mirror, today.
- Ageing: Age has never been kind to anyone. There is certainly no way around it. And this factor has never been good for our skin as well.
- UV Light of the Sun: UV rays penetrate the outer layer of skin and undermine collagen and elastin. This causes the skin to lose its tightness and become more creasy.
- Dehydration: That is the reason why every beauty tip article asked you to stay hydrated! Several structures in our skin support collagen that require water to work effectively. When we are unsuccessful in doing so, the skin itself gives us the answers.
Treating Nasolabial Folds
A smiling face always appears to be the most attractive one in the crowd. And the folds that form along the sides of the nostril, if not noticeable aren’t a real cause of concern. However, if you are bothered about your deep smile lines, the good news is that there’s plenty of what you can still do. Following are some of the effective ways to fight back against Nasolabial Folds:
1: Strengthen Muscles Around Your Mouth: This exercise strengthens the ‘Orbicularis Oris’ muscles around your mouth. It tightens the mentioned skin area.
- Place the tip of each index finger into the corners of your mouth
- Now pucker your lips while resisting the inward pull with your fingers
- Perform this exercise 25 times once or twice a day
2: Strengthen The Cheek Muscles: This exercise strengthens the cheek muscles and prevents them from sagging towards the mouth.
- Place your index fingers along your smile lines and press inward
- Subsequently, make the biggest open mouth smile
- Relax and repeat 30 times twice a day
3: Fish Face: This exercise strengthens the muscles around your mouth, helping it to prevent sagging and folds.
- Lie on your back and relax your face muscles
- Now pucker your lips and suck in the corners as if you are making a fish face
Hold this face for 5 seconds. Release and repeat 20 times once a day
(II) 3 Best Clinical Treatments for Nasolabial Folds:
1: Dermal Fillers: Fill it up! Yes! That is what dermal fillers do! Injected into our skin around the required areas, dermal fillers, indeed, gift us our youthfulness.
Now, there are two kinds of dermal fillers. One is hyaluronic acid. When injected into our skin, the fluid prompts the tissues to produce collagen and elastin, which fills in the voids that create folds. The second filler involves an inert substance. It executes the same job of filling in the voids. However, it doesn’t promote collagen production.
Dr. R. S. Bhadouria is a splendid aesthetician. Following are the Before and After Photos of his beautiful clients who had been treated in the nasolabial fold area.